How to: From Estimate to bookING AND PRODUCTION
- You contact me with a Project Brief:
Contact me (EMAIL: TEAM [followed by @-symbol] DENALImultimedia.com) and tell me WHAT you need, WHERE, and WHEN.
Please be as specific as possible — Please include a project overview, important details, a shot list, mood board / style ref, schedule and budget information, … if available.
Please include your planned usage information: in a professional environment you will always stumble upon those ‘license fees’ which are part of a project and depending on your project the overall pricing adapts to the actual licensing needs and therefore make pricing individual and not generic or overpriced.
I prefer that you email me all the details so I can put a thought into it before I get back to you. Having things in writing can also prevent misunderstandings.
Phone calls regarding a project: often I am in the middle of a project or on-location and can’t take notes or discuss details on-the-fly. It’s not feasible and accurate to provide on-the-fly quotes or estimates over the phone.
For Product photography please see also: Product photography
- Once I know enough about your project I’ll give you an estimate AND we can discuss details of your project and the schedule.
My estimate will be based on your project brief and if a budget is given I will try to offer solutions to fit your budget but sometimes expectations and initial budget might be out-of-sync and we need to work on right-sizing the project to create the best possible outcome that works for both of us.
- After we clarified the project scope, I’ll send you some paperwork, called Service Agreement, which is basically the work order and details the project scope & schedule and the terms and licensing.
- You sign the agreement (either via instant electronic signature or on paper) AND you make a down payment which confirms/reserves the photo/video shoot date/time. Projects cannot be initiated or start before receiving a down-payment.
- Production starts
- Review / Revision phase as discussed for your project
- Rest-payment is due before delivery of final project results and for established client relations invoicing of payments can be handled per custom agreement.
Note: Pricing and conditions are subject to change. E&OE.
Included in pricing
- General pre-project consultation: clarifying your goals, specifics, quantities, learning about the project in general, etc. .
Not included (and considered an extra service): e.g. meetings, planning and brainstorming sessions, creating shot lists, scene planning, scouting trips…
- ‘Cloud’ delivery
- and more: it depends on the project type and my estimate will clarify and itemize costs for you
ADD-ON information for specific types of projects
– Architectural and Commercial projects
These are custom projects, please see more information here: Architecture Photography, Commercial
– Product Photography
Studio or on-location, please see more information here: Product Photography
– Real Estate projects
For pricing and general further info please see also: Real-Estate Photography
Pricing in general
Photography projects consist of multiple tasks e.g. pre-production tasks (planning, scouting, researching and securing resources, etc.), production tasks (like set-up & break-down, taking photos, staging & styling), post-production tasks, and others …
Fees, Charges and Rates
Your custom Estimate:
The estimate reflects the tasks, duration, and pricing.
The overall costs for a project are stemming from:
Pre-Production, Photography Fee (DP / photographer / assistant), Post-Production, Production Charges and Expenses, Usage License fees, and potential other fees and charges depending on the project.
- Client must provide a shot list (punch list) IF certain scenes / photos are a must-have.
Such requirement list is generally a good idea and standard for professional projects.
- Change Orders and ‘On-the-fly’ project scope changes on location (like ‘could you real quick take a shot of this & that as well?’: I’ll be as flexible as possible to accommodate additional work and shots but if they change the original scope of the agreed order, I’ll need a change order from you which can often be an informal email or text. I need you to acknowledge that for additional work or shots also an additional post-production time / effort will be necessary and charged per image or task.
- Client must state upfront if NDA’s are required.
- For licensing costs in an estimate, I need information on the intended usage of the work results
- 3rd-party usage rights needed? cost-sharing-options / split-cost agreements available
- STANDARD post-processing (level-1): enhancing the photo for a better appeal: color & contrast, perspective correction etc. That is NOT retouching in the sense of modifying, changing, removing objects etc…
- ADVANCED post-processing (level-2): improving and modifying reality, retouching, effects, composites, paths, etc.
AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY / VIDEO pricing
Please find detailed pricing and more information here: AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY + VIDEO
Please find detailed information here: VIDEO work or contact me with your project details and I’ll get back to you.
Costs of OTHER TASKS & SERVICES
- RETOUCHING: e.g. removing objects, smoothing skin, sharpening, improving [costs vary and depend on tasks]. Pricing is either on hourly basis or for some projects with batch retouching I might be able to offer per-image pricing starting at $35.oo/image… See Photo Enhancing and Retouching
- Photo Restoration / Repair: [costs vary and depend on tasks] … See Photo Restoration
- Hourly rate in general: depending on task. Calculated / billed in 15- to 30-minutes increments.
- On-Demand Training / Lessons / 1:1 training sessions (e.g. Photography techniques, Camera settings, Organizing Photos, Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom software, Video editing, Color Correction, etc. OR… your specific topic of interest): See On-Demand Training.
- Photo slide shows: delivered as a video file. [Note: duration is roughly ca. 1 min per 15 images]
up to 30 images: $120.oo; then $2.50/photo. 1 Text Title Overlay included — more titles are considered an add-on and the costs depend on details.
- Complex Photo/video slide-show (movie): delivered as a video file. E.g. telling someone’s ‘Story of Life’ with a rich mix of still photos and may be video sequences. Costs depend on material and length of resulting video. Sometimes a personal meeting is required, but often not. For a free quote, please write me an email with details like ‘how much material you have; what type of material; do you have a story written down?’
- Assignments: Custom Project Pricing — please contact me.
TURN-AROUND TIME for photography
As usual: that depends certainly upon the complexity of the project!
The following outlines the expected delivery time for non-complex, small, standard projects which also do not require much advanced post-processing.
|Standard delivery for most projects (complex projects excluded) is within 2-5 business days Mon-Fri||included|
(Note: not always possible, please inquire)
|+ $120.oo or more, depending on volume|
|Next Day (before 5pm or agreed on time)
(Note: not always possible, please inquire)
|+ $75.oo or more, depending on volume|
|guaranteed within 48 hrs after photo shoot ends, even if weekends follow the date of the photo shoot.
(Note: not always possible, please inquire)
|+ $45.oo or more, depending on volume|
TURN-AROUND TIME for video projects
Depends on the type of project.
Full production project: requires a booking well in advance because there’s more planning and pre-tasks involved. Actual turn-around time is dependent on the complexity of the project, but it will be at least 7 business days.
Other video projects: Standard turn-around time is 3-15 business days but can be longer or shorter, depending on the project scope.
Once I know what your project is about, I can estimate the actual turn-around time.
|Cloud delivery / DOWNLOAD:||included / free|
|USB Flash Drive delivery:||$25.oo / per USB stick plus shipping (if applicable)|
|DVD delivery:||not available|
If your project requires to mail items (either return material you had sent to me or delivery of items to you) the costs for mailing with your preferred mail carrier will be added to your project price.
We recommend that you consider Tracking and Insurance options when mailing items to us. If you are located in the local area, a drop-off would be best and sometimes we can also arrange a pickup at your location.
- Local ground-travel may or not be included and depends on the overall project scope.
- Long distance travel: upon agreement / actual costs etc.
A down payment is required to reserve photographer’s time for performing the described service and/or the dates and times of the photo-shooting.
50% (sometimes more) down-payment of all fees and 100% of project charges will be required at the time of booking. Only after receiving the down-payment the project / appointment date/time is reserved & confirmed. For smaller projects a minimum dollar amount might replace the 50% rule above.
My estimate for your project will detail all costs and payments.
CANCELLATION / RE-SCHEDULING
- Cancellation and also Re-scheduling options will be part of our agreement to make sure both parties can enter the agreement in a relaxed manner.
USAGE RIGHTS / USAGE LICENSE
- After full payment of the Services the photographer assigns the usage license to client according to the agreement. Depending on the project a client may have need for a usage license that covers specific client requirements. Please let me know upfront what your requirements and planned usage will be and for example if IP buy-outs, usage restricting NDA’s, 3rd party usage and other things are a concern. Please inquire regarding cost-sharing options.
The estimate and the agreement paperwork will detail the topic and take everything into consideration.