Product photography from small to oversized products.
Small products can be done in the studio and for oversized products like furniture I will perform the photo shoot at your location or place you want them to be photographed. For lifestyle shots where the product shall be shown in USE, the project requirements determine if it is a studio or on-location / outdoor photo shoot.
We are located in the LONGMONT / BOULDER (Colorado) area: for local clients we can discuss pickup/drop-off for items OR you can ship your products to us regardless whether you are local or from far away.
Any product could work: food and beverage items, jewelry, electronics, clothing, car accessories, cars, furniture, kitchens, floors, … let’s say almost anything.
You’ll get true colors and optimized results. Production and post-production ranges from standard to creative (and or technical) composites.
How to get a quote
It is essential to learn as much as possible about your project, items, and goals in order to estimate or quote the costs.
Please provide me with the necessary information: see a little further below: HOW THE PROCESS WORKS: Prep and Quote phase.
info section: There are several options for a product shoot:
- product on 100% (rgb, 255, 255, 255) white background (like e-Commerce shops / Amazon require it)
- product on any colored background, white-gray-ish (equals a natural white shot), black, or virtual backgrounds
- product in lifestyle setting / usage scenario (setting resembles how and where and how the product is used either in a studio-staged environment with props or anywhere on-location)
- Standard (streamlined basic but solid results) OR Composites (advanced layered compositions that allow to go beyond in-camera possibilities, also called advertising shoots)
- you can combine styles and types of images in your order: e.g. White background images with custom / lifestyle photo format images
- any custom request: prepping and staging in our studio or photographing your product in a lifestyle setting in-studio or on-location, … e.g. after you installed it at your customer’s site: furniture, kitchens, stairs, floors, etc. … or if your product is food-related, let’s talk what the food item is and where and how it can be captured best. See Food Photography
- Design Service: we can offer to design your PRODUCT LABEL, ADVERTISING, INFOGRAPHICS, POSTER, etc. You can also send your sketch / ideas and we work with you to implement the design. Get a quote from us!
Pricing for Product Photography
All product shoots and requirements are different and it is best to request a custom quote. Please send over your specs and a project description and I’ll compile a free estimate or quote for you.
There are different pricing models which each have a certain project type where they fit best. The pricing models are HOURLY/DAILY or pricing PER PRODUCT or pricing PER IMAGE. If a project consists of very different tasks a mix of those pricing models will be used for the estimate.
In the following please find a few notes about product photography options:
Standard On-White background photos (Amazon, Etsy, eShops, et cetera)
STANDARD ON-WHITE BACKGROUND*:
Pricing is per product (SKU) per image and usually the per image price goes down the more images you have: commonly you’ll need a product shot from multiple angles or in different operation modes.
Standard-on-white means it is for products with no special difficulties e.g. metal/glass, shine-thru or reflection, odd size / shape / weight. Standard sizes/dimensions are: ca. 12x12x12 in (small) or ca. 24x24x36 (medium) but aren’t bean counters. For products outside of those specs you need to go for an ADVANCED photoshoot.
Also, Standard-on-white orders shall not have specific color guide rules e.g. Pantone# guidelines etc. which would make it an Advanced photo shoot.
Depending on the actual specs all specialty items (a.k.a. advanced-on-white) may cost a little more than simpler items.
*Special note: please keep in mind: standard on-white photo shoots are designed to accommodate affordable product photo shoots, ideal for most eCommerce platform requirements (on pure white) and which fit customers with a limited budget. With a low pricing the process of shooting and editing requires a streamlined and simple workflow; But don’t worry, even in this limited budget field I promise to do my best to create wonderful product shots of your items!
Included in above Standard On-White: one-time basic optimization (colors, WB, sharpness) before presenting the image to client, group shots up to 5 products (as long as they fit in the above mentioned dimensions), color correction, dust removal, depending on the product size resolution up to 7000+px before cropping (long side) are possible… just let me know what you need the photo for, like ‘a website’ or ‘a format filling 9 by 11 ad’… and so on. Final resolution dimensions need TBD.
Pure white background (RGB 255,255,255) or Natural White background (slightly gray-ish), drop shadow (optional), cloud delivery, usage rights: royalty-free non-exclusive worldwide all media no time-or-use-limit. No retouching or reshoots included, unless we made a mistake.
COMPOSITES / ADVANCED ON-WHITE (and/or any advanced setting, certain products (with size, reflection, surface, color considerations, et cetera)
That is a custom shoot where often multiple shots with changed settings are composed into an optimized composite which takes longer to create – that is what you would see in larger budget advertising campaigns and those cannot be compared to standard streamlined shoots. If quality is your priority, that is the right option for the project.
Other specs? Sizes? More images / products? Please request your custom quote.
CUSTOM SHOOT or Lifestyle images / high-end-advertising-style retouch / Creative Composites
including: Hero shots, composites-on-white, black or colored or digital art background
Please request your custom quote!
Costs depend on your shot list and instructions which in turn are the basis for calculating the time for prep / setup / shooting / post-production. Please describe your project and request a custom quote.
Pricing depends on scope and complexity.
Note: A custom shoot can consist of either a few or many tasks, among them: brainstorming, sketching, meeting and discussion, prepping, execution of shot, post-production. The latter can be quite complex for composites and therefore can consume many hours of time. It can get even more complex if talents, rentals, on-location work, travel, permits etc. is involved. Pricing also depends on license type, revision cycles and other aspects that come with more complex projects.
On-location photo shoots
Costs depend on your product(s) and time needed on-location plus necessary post-production.
HOW THE PROCESS WORKS
The following detailed description put into a few lines (and for the details please look below).
- Tell us about your goal and product(s), and for every product how you would like to have it expressed: best is to provide a shot list and mood board that gives us an idea what you are going for.
- Tell us about your deadline and if available ROUGH budget; also your shipping/delivery preferences if applicable
- Tell us everything else you deem relevant information — we’ll sort that out and will get back to you with our question catalogue.
- You’ll receive an estimate and we work on modifications, upgrades, downgrades, and any detail
- Production phase starts once you approve the scope of work and the estimate and you make down payment / retainer payment
- Revision / Review cycle starts according to our agreement
- Delivery on-time and rest-payment
…hopefully your next order with us is in the queue — we love long-term customers and once we get a feel of routine we would like to offer a discount !!!
Details of the PREP and QUOTE PHASE
1 – Make a list of PRIMARY ITEMS you will eventually send us.
PRIMARY ITEMS are: your product(s)
Maybe it’s a good idea to give each item a NAME or SKU (e.g. BRAKE-CANTILEVER, ENERGY BAR CHOCOLATE, BOTTLE STRAWBERRY, #123, RED-SHIRT) – that helps us to identify the items for the photos.
a) Describe condition of each item (e.g. new, light tear and wear, or other): we inspect the condition when the item arrives later. [not needed for quote unless we shall retouch product flaws]
b) Mention if assembly is required [info needed for quote]
PROPS (secondary items) [optional, if needed]
Props are additional supporting or decorative items like e.g. special beverage glasses in conjunction with the primary product, any accessory items, any brand items, etc.). Let us know if you intend to send props.
2 – TURN-AROUND TIME / DEADLINES
Tell us HOW SOON you need the IMAGES. Standard turn-around time is 7-10 days after receiving items and down-payment, however, lifestyle and custom shots can be longer — once we know all the details of your order we can give you an estimate and most likely accommodate your deadlines.
3 – Create a SHOT LIST (how many images, what type of photo(s), what items, grouping, angles, reference photos, notes and comments)
Your shot list can follow our example further down, or, if you don’t have a specific direction for us and you want a lifestyle photo and a creative approach then we can take over the Creative Direction process and come up with ideas and/or follow your script / sketch.
Tell us anything that you think is relevant for us in order to shoot the product in the way you want it. Tell us about your emphasis and concerns for the product. Mention, if you want certain edits like retouch or arrangement of product portions (like cables etc.).
Following a sample:
PHOTO #1 (… and repeat this for all images you will order)
- which product(s) [which items / which grouping], e.g. “RED-SHIRT” or “#123 grouped with #124” or “ALL WHAT’S IN THE BOX ITEMS”
- descriptive information
a) which angle for this photo:
e.g. “90-degree from above” or “front” or “side with front facing to the left (viewer perspective)”, 45-degree and showing front facing to left (viewer perspective)”, etc.
TAKE a cellphone photo roughly showing your desired angle or grouping.
- Instead of 2) If you don’t have a specific direction for us and you trust our experience then we can take over the Creative Direction process and come up with ideas and/or follow your script / sketch.
- NOTES and INSTRUCTIONS:
Comment and make clear what is important / not important regarding this photo (or cell phone picture you took), e.g. “emphasize the embossed effect of model name, better than in my cellphone photo” or “do (do not) show the cord” etc.
- (optional but preferred for custom and lifestyle shots) Sample style images: PROVIDE us with reference images of scenes you like for that shot. Look around on the Internet and send us the photo or URL. Make comments what you like about it and what not! Note: we do not guarantee to match the reference samples 100% — they are just a tool to lead the way.
- In any case: describe your shot with your own words as clear as possible.
4 – DISCUSS SHIPPING OPTIONS
SHIPPING TO US (inbound shipping)
- ship your items with your preferred carrier and consider TRACKING and INSURANCE
- if you are a local customer we can discuss to arrange drop-off or pickup
RETURN SHIPPING (outbound shipping)
- Provide us also with a paid return shipping label or your courier’s account information
- Or tell us how you want the items be returned and we will get a quote for that. We do require upfront payment of any such shipping costs.
- Or tell us if you do not want the items back. We’ll discard or donate them. (e.g. for low value items the shipping costs might be higher than the value).
- Abondoned items (means you are not responding to us with shipping cost payments and instructions within 30 days of order or inbound-shipment) will be donated or discarded
If items belong to the category FOOD or which are perishable, by default, we do not return those unless otherwise agreed on.
Due to possible export restrictions or customs regulations we can only ship to domestic U.S. locations.
We are not responsible for any damaged items due to shipping / packaging. Please consider shipping insurance.
5 – QUESTIONS
After studying your SHOT LIST and instructions we might have questions and might need a written answer or a clarifying cell phone picture to go ahead and prepare the QUOTE or conduct the PHOTO SHOOT.
Sometimes we also need clarification during the PRODUCTION PHASE and we will need a written feedback from you to continue. Delays on your side will extend the promised turn-around time!
Details of the PRODUCTION PHASE
1 – GET THE ITEMS TO US
UPON ARRIVAL of the ITEMS we will inspect them regarding condition and check if complete according to your item list and shot list
2 – DOWNPAYMENT
You make your down-payment for the photo shoot order (plus other possible add-on charges like shipping costs, assembly costs, travel costs, model hire, etc. which are itemized on the quote) which marks the INITIATION of the project. Turn-around time starts at that point. Down-payment is non-refundable. Add-on costs are non-refundable.
3 – PHOTO SHOOT
We take the photos according to your SHOT LIST.
4 – REVIEW
We upload the images (watermarked) into a cloud space where you can review them.
If you find flaws that we are responsible for then we will fix them or reshoot for free.
If you change your mind about a certain shot (aka. if we did everything correct according to your instructions but you had forgotten something to say… or you change your mind completely) we can do a PAID reSHOOT.
We DO NOT guarantee that our result match the reference photos 100% — we promise we do our best to get it as close as possible but we do not aim at copying other scenes or photos.
Free reshoots based on saying our results are not a 100% reference photo match are not possible. Reference photos are used for a general guidance and you do not want to copy a competitor ;-), however you can point out in your instructions if a certain style or element requires a match, e.g. “thumb must be on button”, “display must read …”.
5 – APPROVAL or REJECTION
Assuming you are happy with the results:
a) you APPROVE the ORDER
b) you make your REST-PAYMENT
c) we upload the photos to the cloud (not watermarked); you can download them and we guarantee storage for at least 6 months.
If you want to reject the results:
That is possible for many reasons and may be you just do not need the images any longer.
Your down payment is non-refundable — up to this point we have put time and effort into the photo shoot and we had costs.
There’s no further payment or cancellation fee to be paid on your side and no obligations on your or our side. We, however, if the RETURN SHIPPING costs had been covered by you, send back your items. You cannot use the photos if you reject approval, you have no usage rights at this time and using them would be an infringement.
6 – RETURN SHIPPING
We return your items if that was agreed on and according to the return shipping method we discussed. Requirement is that you have covered the shipping costs as discussed.